10 Favourite Quotes about Paris
In a few weeks I will be in Paris. It's been over six years since I've walked those streets. Although all those years have passed, and I have changed, I wonder if the city remains the same. Whether it still has the same light, the same elegance and the same magic I felt when I was younger.
My love affair with Paris began when I was fifteen visiting as an exchange student. Three years later, when I was eighteen, I returned to work as an au pair for a year.
Paris made a lasting impression on me, there is no place like the City of Light. Over the years, many artists and writers have attempted to capture the essence of Paris through the power of word.
Here are 10 of my favourite quotes about Paris:
1. Paris is always a good idea. -Audrey Hepburn
2. If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast. -Ernest Hemingway
3. A walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of Life. -Thomas Jefferson
4. The last time I saw Paris, her heart was warm and gay, I heard the laughter of her heart in every street café. -Oscar Hammerstein II
5. To know Paris is to know a great deal. -Henry Miller
6. Whoever does not visit Paris regularly will never really be elegant. -Honoré de Balzac
7. You know, I sometimes think, how is anyone ever gonna come up with a book, or a painting, or a symphony, or a sculpture that can compete with a great city. You can’t. Because you look around and every street, every boulevard, is its own special art form and when you think that in the cold, violent, meaningless universe that Paris exists, these lights. I mean come on, there’s nothing happening on Jupiter or Neptune, but from way out in space you can see these lights, the cafés, people drinking and singing. For all we know, Paris is the hottest spot in the universe. -Owen Wilson
8. When spring comes to Paris the humblest mortal alive must feel that he dwells in paradise. -Henry Miller
9. In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their own language. -Mark Twain
10. Cities have sexes: London is a man, Paris a woman, and New York a well-adjusted transsexual. -Angela Carter