7 Pieces of Career Advice
I was honoured to be a guest speaker at Curtin University's PR in Fashion event last night. Run by the Public Relations Student Chapter, I was delighted to tell the students and guests my story.
I spoke about my years working in New York City, being photographed by Bill Cunningham, meeting blogger Tavi Gevinson and being interviewed by Cathy Horne, New York Times fashion editor.
Lastly, I told them these seven pieces of career advice:
- Follow your dreams and take risks. Even if you fail, at least you have tried.
- Get as much experience as you can.
- Make contacts. They will help you move forward.
- Get your foot in the door. Start in reception first if you have to, show your skills and progress that way.
- Help others as others have helped you.
- Seize every opportunity, even if it’s a scary one.
- Love your job- you'll be much happier for it.
I hope you are following your dreams.
Photo by Nadine Pougnet.