What's On: August 2016
We've hit just over half-way through 2016. It's been an amazing first seven months but don't fret because the rest of the year is looking just as good.
Here's what is happening in August.
Been aching to check out Higher Ground, the new venue in the CBD? On Tuesday nights, from now until September 13th, you can dine there for a good cause with the Winter Scarf Dinner series. Scarf Dinners give young people from refugee and new migrant communities the chance to build their knowledge, skills and confidence in front-of-house hospitality, while engaging in paid work-experience. Enjoy an entree and a main ($40pp) by Higher Ground head chef Nate Wilkins and the team. It's the perfect night out with friends!
Melbourne Spring Fashion Week is coming up at the end of this month - August 26th until September 2nd. As there are so many events, I would recommend checking out the calendar and booking your tickets early.
My top picks of the festival are:
- Emerging RMIT Runway & Emerging Collective Runway, two of the student fashion shows. Student shows are always innovative and imaginative, I can't wait to see what they come up with this year. Ticketed event.
- Floricouture by Melbourne Flower Merchant is exactly what it sounds like, couture made from flowers. Magnificent! FREE event.
- Seminar: Influencer and Brand Collaboration + Seminar: The Power of Digital Communitications workshops are part of the MSFW industry series. Ideal for those wanting to take blogging and their business to the next level.
- Urban Bloom runway show features Akira, alice McCALL, Kate Sylvester, Megan Park, Nevenka, Romance Was Born & Yeojin Bae - need I say more?
- Closing Resort runway show features CAMILLA, Camp Cove Swim, Etro at Christine, Lee Mathews, Obus, Stella Jean at Christine, Suboo & Swash at Christine. This show will have you dreaming of holidays.
Maticevski - Dark Wonderland at Bendigo Art Gallery
For the first time in his 20-year-long career, Australian fashion designer Toni Maticevski will be exhibiting pieces from his archive collection. This major exhibition, held at Bendigo Art Gallery, will illustrate the evolution of Maticevski's work, from early days through to his current pieces.
A must for any fashion lover, this is an exhibition worth travelling for and the perfect excuse to escape Melbourne for a weekend.
OTHER THINGS TO DO
- Celebrate Aussie Country Icons at the watercolour exhibition Farm Stuff by Alison Turnbull held at Enough in Prahran. From August 11 - August 21. Join me for opening night celebrations on Thursday August 11th 6pm-9pm.
- Breathe and enjoy the hum at Humming Puppy yoga studios in Prahran. I'm taking classes there again, after a short break, and absolutely loving it!
- Have you bought your Book of Mormon tickets yet? February 2017 tickets have now been released!